Quantcast

Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Melon, Prosciutto & Asparagus Salad

I used to be hesitant to post recipes here on the old blog.  I mean really, I'm no chef and there are food blogs by the thousands, as well as cookbooks, cooking channels, websites, etc.  You get the picture.  The world needs another recipe like it needs another attorney.  Or politician.

But here's the thing, I love getting recipe recommendations from friends, and after reading a blog for a while, you sort of feel like they're a friend.  We're friends right?  I mean I call you guys 'friends' all the time so if we're not really friends I'm a little hurt. ;) Anyhow, I have several cookbooks that I love, but I find that my favorite and most cooked meals are recipes that have been passed on down from family members, friends and now, blogs.  So, I post my most favorite recipes here because they have been cooked in a real kitchen by a real woman with a real budget and very real and ordinary cookware.  Please know that I will never post a recipe here that I don't love.  Tell me, where do you find your favorite recipes from?

I dreamed up this little salad a couple of weeks back when the weather had turned a few degrees warmer, Taylor was out on Spring break and we had a free day at home with no plans.  I made the kids their usual peanut butter and jelly and I made myself this!  The flavor combination is not new; melon with prosciutto.  But the addition of the tender asparagus and toasted pine nuts elevates this to a whole other level.  I started with two helpings for myself, and I had enough ingredients on hand to make a small side salad for dinner.  The recipe I'm posting would make one large salad that you could divide up however you'd like :) I think the only thing that could make this salad any better would be a bit of crumbled feta or goat cheese on top, but you decide.
Cantaloupe, Prosciutto & Asparagus Salad:
For Salad:
1 cantaloupe cubed
1 bunch of asparagus
1 package of prosciutto sliced into thin strips
1/4 cup of pine nuts, toasted

For Dressing:
1/4 cup EVOO
1/8 cup Balsamic Vinegar
2-3 Tbsp Honey
Add all ingredients to a small ball and whisk together

Blanch the asparagus and slice after cooled.  Toss the asparagus, cantaloupe and prosciutto with the dressing, and top with the toasted pine nuts.  Sprinkle some salt and cracked pepper on top.  Eat and thank mother nature for the Earth's bounty!  This salad is so good you will have to resist eating the whole bowl.  But if you do eat the whole bowl, you won't feel too guilty because overall, it's not too bad for ya.  Oh, and I ate mine with a toasted slice of sourdough by the way.  Oh heavens.

Enjoy!  As always, let me know if you try it please!  By the way, you can thank Emily for the dressing idea. She advised adding the balsamic and honey, which proved to be the perfect lift to the salad.

5 comments:

  1. Oh thank you for sharing! I would love everything in this minus the pine nuts. Not sure how Sugar Daddy would be with fruit and veggie together, but I'm going to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the dressing shout-out Andrea :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh yes! (minus the pine nuts for me too though)
    sounds like a great recipe for me!
    thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll take the pine nuts and leave the melon! I'm thinking strawberries and basil would be a nice addition too! Thanks! And I loved your April recap post yesterday too...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've missed a lot around here this week. I had fully intended to participate in the book drive, since Cardon's is our hospital, but this month has just not been the month. I'm so trying this salad. Sounds quite yummy, my friend. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment. I read and appreciate every single one. If you enable your email address I'd love to respond :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...